The Old Lifeboat House (open to the public, free), was restored in 2015, 50 years after the last lifeboat was taken out of service on the island (there is now a volunteer Coastguard contingent on the island). It now features an exhibition telling the story of the Lifeboats on the island, and is dedicated to the Lifeboat crews and islanders with a connection to the service.
The first lifeboat, the Grace Darling, a ten-oar boat, was introduced to Holy Island in 1865.
The last lifeboat (Gertrude) was launched for the last time on 4 October 1967, before she was transferred to Exmouth in Devon. Following the introduction of advanced navigation technology and the use of helicopters both for sea rescues and to evacuate casualties from the island, there was a decreased need for the lifeboat service, though the RNLI services from Seahouses and Berwick are still used.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.